IN PROCESS – Sound and movement
In the black box sound and movement often meet, but often it is on the premise of the eye. A spectacular dance piece or a beautiful living image. But what happens if we think of sound as a possibility to break with the tradition of the eye in performing arts and choreography. A resistance or a protest towards the dominance of the visual in the theatrical space.
With IN PROCESS – Sound and movement HAUT, Inter Arts Center and Alma Söderberg invite artists into a residency that gives the opportunity to explore what sound and movement also can be in a black box. A residency where the black box is a place of listening and where it is possible to think of your practice as a rhythm.
IN PROCESS – Sound and movement is a residency for artists with different backgrounds – not only dancers and choreographers. It is a residency for posing questions and creating meeting points between sound and movement in a theatrical space. The residency will end with a public sharing followed by a conversation with the people present.
WHAT YOU GET
IN PROCESS – Sound and movement offers you:
• A week of residency at Inter Arts Center in Malmö
• The possibility to work with a sound and light setup
• The possibility to get artistic feedback
• A work-in-process sharing including a moderated feedback talk with the audience
• Salary of 9.000 DKK for each artist (max 5 persons)
• A budget of 3.000 DKK for materials
• Travel expenses covered up to 2.000 DKK pr. person (max 5 persons)
• Production meeting 12th of December 2022 at 3pm at ZOOM
• The residency will take place 23rd – 29th of January 2023 at Inter Arts Center in Malmö
• Work-in-process sharing and moderated feedback 29th of January at 2pm
• Evaluation of residency medio February 2023
WHAT WE EXPECT OF YOU
• That you open up your artistic exploration to an audience and that you welcome feedback
• That you participate in an evaluation of the format IN PROCESS
HOW TO APPLY
Application deadline is 18th of November 2022 at 5 pm.
If you have any questions about the open call, contact Betina Rex at firstname.lastname@example.org
IN PROCESS supports the explorative phase of an artistic idea or collaboration. The residency is NOT a productions residency or a possibility to finish a premiere. IN PROCESS is mainly for artists based in Denmark or the Sound (Øresund) region. The curated artists are financially responsible for international travel expenses and accommodation themselves. Applications are accepted in Danish or English.
IN PROCESS – Sound and movement is curated by Alma Söderberg in collaboration with Betina Rex, the artistic director of HAUT. Alma Söderberg is a choreographer and performer that works with music and dance. She uses her voice and body to play space as if it was an instrument. Her ongoing research deals with how we listen as we look; the relation between the ear and the eye. She has grounded her practice in a number of solo performances that have toured in Europe during the last ten years. Lately, she has also started making work for groups, including two pieces for the Swedish dance company Cullberg. She has also worked in the collective John the houseband and has an ongoing collaboration with the sound artist Hendrik Willekens.
HAUT is a performing arts organisation supporting development projects and experiments. Through open calls, HAUT offers the residency programme IN PROCESS to self-producing performing artists and choreographers. IN PROCESS has been created to facilitate artistic development and immersion. IN PROCESS finishes with an informal meeting between the art, the artists and the audience, where dialogue, and not judgment, is at the centre.
“IN PROCESS – Sound and movement” is supported by The Danish Arts Foundation, The Bikuben
Foundation and the Municipality of Copenhagen.